Wednesday 18 September 2013

4th year, how ar' ya'?!

**TYPEWRITER SOUND**  -DAY THREE-

The first week back in college, mixed emotions I must acknowledge. I am very excited about this semester, getting back into the swing of visiting art galleries and exploring new artists - how could one not feel good. Nervousness is also a brewing feeling;  but I'm sure that will filter down!

I had my first thesis meeting of the semester yesterday - I am all hyped up to get started. I am basing it on the term 'Screen Dance'. My studio tutors asked to define it today; yikes it's complicated was my response, however I'll break it down for you:

SCREEN
Contextually, 'screen' refers to the filmmaking aspect. Though cinematography is a rather new process, rules and boundaries skim the perimeter of the process. Fine Art Film breaks these boundaries and pushes the commercial and Hollywood characteristics away breaking into the third wall and using the camera like paintbrush to paint an abstract painting. The camera becomes another entity.

DANCE
Anything that has the adjective 'Classical' in the fore of a discipline generally means there is a technique  and method to be followed, surpassing these creates a new experimental and contemporary form which evolves to becoming a part of the fine art medium as it becomes more interpretative and expressionistic. In music John Cage broke all rules imaginable in his compositions. As did ballet; Vaslav Nijinsky, admired as one of the 20th Centuries greatest male ballet dancers. He evolved ballet to become thematically bolder and too broke the traditions of classical ballet making it a new form.

Together the montage of music, dance and film form the perfect 'Screen Dance'. I'll come back to this again soon. Off to see 'Modern Families' at the Lewis Glucksman Gallery now.

Toodle pips!

No comments:

Post a Comment